Saturday, February 27, 2010

Funny Cake

Yesterday was the Blue and Gold Banquet. For center pieces my friend Karla and I had ask all our boys to collect 100 of something {it's the 100th year of scouting} and find a creative way of displaying it for the table. Karla and I decided we would make giant cupcakes to display our 100.

I decided to do 100 mini marshmallows. Actually I thought about doing Teddy Grahams but that's a lot of little bears. I felt that a S'mores theme was appropriate with scouting though. So I made a yellow cake with crushed graham crackers, mixed in some mini chocolate chips. Then between the top and bottom layer I filled it with marshmallow cream and chocolate frosting.

Finally came the really fun part —decorating! So I proceeded by covering the bottom layer (or the cupcake cup) with chocolate frosting and mini Hershey bars. Then came the top. I covered this in marshmallow cream, then tried to swirl in chocolate frosting over that. Finally I place on my 100 mini marshmallows, the Teddy Grahams, and chocolate chips.

I thought it looked pretty cute. So I got my camera to take a picture to send to the hubs who is out of town (and also thought I was crazy when I told him what I had planned for my cupcake.)

After I took the picture I noticed something. The top had more white than I remembered. As if I had forgot to decorate a good chunk of the top. Then upon better inspection I realized all the toppings, starting with the chocolate were sliding off the marshmallow cream. I wasn't sure what to do. I guess I could have pulled everything off and tried to redecorate the thing. But that seemed time consuming and MESSY! So instead I stuck in in the freezer hoping to freeze the toppings in place. And it worked!

So after almost forgetting it as the boys and I rush out the door. I get it in my car and get it to the B&G in one piece. I get it placed on the table and purposely face the sliding place to the back of the room to "hide" it. Then my boys and I sit down at the same table. My friend Karla, her husband and boys soon show up. They sit at the table too. We laugh about my cake and then the dinner starts.

Dinner was entertaining. I keep looking at the cake and since it's no longer in the freezer its started up again with the sliding. It was like watching a train wreck in sloooooooooow motion. Little by little it's sliding, until plop a chunk falls off. So we feed it to the kids, then another clump, and another. By the time we have finished our dinner, honestly the whole back half was gone. I should have taken a picture of this but I was just so darn embarrassed over the thing!

So my long story has a point. They say scouting delivers many skills and life lessons to the boys. Let me tell you it's not just the boys. My life lesson I've learned from scouting is that sticky as marshmallow cream is, it does NOT make a good adhesive for frosting. Who knew?  So if you feel like making your own giant s'mores cupcake, use frosting.  :)

Your welcome for sharing this valuable lesson with you. Now you don't have to learn this one the hard way.