Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Dinner Reheated: Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup


So, this is one of my favorite recipes.  I had been looking for a great broccoli cheese soup recipe before going low carb.  Finding the best one after, was complete luck.

This one comes from Kelly the Kitchen Kop.

It is super simple.  But before I share this recipe here are a few things.
1- Kelly is very pro not ultra-pasteurized heavy whipping cream.  She has links to her reasoning on he blog (linked above), however, in my home I use the Great Value brand from Walmart.  Maybe it would be better for me to spend more than a dollar for the Land-o-lakes, but we all have to choose our battles, and this one it not mine.
2- My husbands request was to make a soup with Velveeta.  While Original Velveeta does have some carbs, this is a place in our diet I decided to fudge.
This being said, both my sister and cousin have done it using real cheese, and been pleased with the results.


3- We like a thick and creamy soup.  For this reason I use no where near the amount of broth called for in the recipe.  I use about half a can.

4- Speaking of broccoli.  I usually use frozen in a steam bag because this cuts out on steps and dishes.  I just steam it and then add the broccoli very last.

5- If you want your life to be simpler get a submersion hand blender.  I love this baby.  I use it several times a week.  With it, I am able to add the broccoli last and just blend some of the larger chunks of broccoli, right in the pot.
So finally, here it is.  It also freezes up well.  My husband takes it to work for lunch about once a week.  :)




Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup:
  • 2 T. butter
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 8oz. cream cheese
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or velveeta)
  • 2 bunches of fresh broccoli, chopped
Heat broth and broccoli until broccoli is tender. Mix cream cheese, heavy cream, shredded cheese and butter in another pan and stir often. When broccoli is tender, put half in a blender and puree (this makes it a little thicker).  When the other pan is melted, add to broth and broccoli.  Garnish with cheese.
This is a 15-minute dinner!

1 comment:

Joe and Victoria said...

I want to thank you for giving me this recipe! ... so delicious and a convenient lunch!!